Friday, July 20, 2007

Oh, the travesty!

This week the Man’s job requires him to carry a cell phone with him at all times.

*Yes, we know: This is absolutely shocking news.*

(Albeit to him, more so than to you.)

And not only must he keep the cell phone charged and turned on, he’s EXPECTED TO USE IT.
Of course, you reader, must empathize with him. He, who eschews all things technological when he can, being put upon this way. And, this is in addition to a requirement to also use …

wait for it…

a satellite phone and a GPS on frequent occasions.

(The Man would now have me remind you that both have failed when needed and it was only because he had of course, brought his compass that things turned out all right.)

However, now that The Man finds himself not only regularly using a computer and watching old versions of The X-Files on television now and then but also using the (deep breath) C-E-L-L-U-L-A-R phone, and other such atrocities, he’s concerned that this signifies he may next find himself wearing ….


slacks.

Of course, I laughed uproariously when he told me this (as did he) and only later remembered that a garment bearing suspicious similarity to slacks was, in fact, imposed upon him at our wedding and is currently hanging in his closet. (Although, thankfully they aren't quite the same styling as sported by our Rock, Paper, Fist gang above.)

Sorry darling, but your worst fears are being realized.

Next, it might be polyester…

2 comments:

Steph said...

Oh my! Such slacks! I must avert my eyes, lest I become overwhelmed by their high-waisted glory!

While I can assure you that use of technology does not always lead to slacks, I am positive that should it ever become necessary, The Man will wear slacks that are built in this century, and they might just look quite nice. It *could* be a not-altogether-painful event.

Last but not least, hurrah for both technology (I am nerd. Hear me squeak.) and the X-files!

WomanNorth said...

Hmm, I shouldn't have intimated that watching of the X-files was an atrocity. Although both of us have in the past (and I hate to admit it) thought the show wan't of worth, we've changed our minds and are currently enjoying season two on DVD (a recent gift from The Man) which is why it came so easily to mind.
Trust no one...