Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Um.. Er... Do I HAVE to?

A note to my readers: This post has nothing to do with living in the north.
After creating my last post and its annoying title (to me, at least), I simply needed to get out a wee rant about blogging and advertising the results of one's supposed creativity.

Is it just me, or does anyone else HATE having to think up titles for blog posts, or even subject headings for email? I always feel as though I should be able to think up something witty that sums up the message in one brilliant label. Most of the time I have difficulty and can't think up anything that is remotely witty or properly descriptive but yet the title or subject box likewise can't (or shouldn't) remain empty.

I find this ANNOYING.

And in a similar vein, I always hated trying to come up with titles for artwork that I'd created in high school art classes. I understand why there are so many "untitled" pieces of artwork in galleries if those artists are annoyed at having to summarize their piece in one word or in a short phrase and so leave out a title altogether but as much as a similar frustration may keep artists from titling their pieces, I admittedly do get annoyed when viewing a piece that is untitled.
A title (or subject heading for an email) IS useful to the viewer or reader of the piece. It allows the reader to understand what the artist was getting at and particularly for blogs or emails, to prioritize whether they want to invest their time in viewing or reading the piece, put it off for later or to ignore and delete it altogether.

As much as I can acknowledge this and also appreciate informative, witty titles to email and blog posts, it is a part of blogging that I despise when creating my own posts.

So, in summation, be forewarned ye readers: I make no promises about the originality, wittiness or even existence of properly titled posts, now or forever in the future.

Oh, and the same thing goes for labels that blogger so kindly invites bloggers to add to their posts. Uh, blogging? annoying things about blogging? uncreative titles? Nah. I'm leavin out the labels for this one!

Er, okay. Rant over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree and understand. I have so much difficulty trying to put the proper title/subject line on any of my emails, posts, etc. Don't worry. The title won't stop me from reading it. Your writings intrigue me extensively and make me wish I was right there discovering these things with you. What amazing photos in previous blogs by the way. I am fasinated by your everyday experiences. Makes being a stay at home mom seem so mundane but we all have our place in life, right. Keep up the wonderful posts.

WomanNorth said...

Thanks for the encouragement! It's always nice to know that someone's reading and coming back for more.
I'm glad you liked the photos and I'll pass along the compliment to TM as he's taken many of them.

I'm sure that being home with your kids has it's own special magic too. I think that no matter where we find ourselves in life, there's always an adventure to be had.