Saturday, July 19, 2008

Garden denizens

Using willow twigs as plant stakes is fine, but what they are really great for is for making things. Things like baskets or, in the case of my garden, birds!

One day after seeing willow baskets in the greenhouse that had been made by someone to hold their hanging plants, I began thinking about how the pliable twigs could lend themselves to other uses, such as for sculpture. I thought that I probably could create a bird for my garden by winding willow twigs together. So, I had a lovely walk through the woods one evening with a pair of pruning shears and a large bag to collect my twigs and then came home to spend a fun weekend on the couch surrounded by twigs, pliers and thread (which I used sparingly and only for the really ornery twigs that wouldn't stay in place).

What do you think? Here is bird #1(for which I was happy that it simply looked bird-like):
and bird #2 (I love her feet!):
and bird #3 (He's a bit more difficult to spot when visitors try to find all four birds.):and bird #4 (For some reason, it's this one's belly that I'm most proud of.):
I ran out of both my willow branches and my weekend after finishing the hummingbird but still intend to get some more branches for a big raven or owl to perch up on the top of the frame and maybe also have a go at creating a squirrel who could run along the edge. We'll see about that (as I created these birds more than a month ago and have yet to make more) but for now, I like the unique contribution they make to our garden. I've also been asked to do a workshop on making willow birds and may do so, but secretly, I like the idea that only my plot has them in it.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Lovely! What a great idea to decorate your garden with bits of garden. :) I want to try it.

Is that your nasturtium in the first photo? I've come to love them since we moved to Cincinnati--they're so peppery, and the flowers are so vivid. We have a nice mound of them growing by our back patio.

WomanNorth said...

Yes, that's my nasturtium. There wasn't room in the garden so the plant is in a pot carefully balanced on the frame above the garden. I've noticed that other gardeners who planted nasturtiums directly in their garden have much larger and more productive plants.
Mine is limited by the volume of the pot, I guess, but it's still wonderful to have. Next year they'll be in a bigger pot!

Lauri said...

Those are awe some - you are so creative!