Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Weather in our neck of the woods

A few days ago Grammarphile left me a comment asking about the weather up here.


In short, yes, we get to wear shorts, but only shortly. ;)

It is currently about 11 degrees celsius outside and given the cloud cover, today's high is likely not going to reach above about 22 C, at around 6pm or so.

Last night when I rode my bike home from the greenhouse, it was cool enough that my jeans and jean jacket were comfortable but I could have done just fine with just the jeans and my T-shirt.

A few weeks ago for about 4 or 5 days, we had temperatures in the high 20s which felt sweltering compared to the usual refreshingly cool temperatures the rest of the summer.

Incidentally, the sun will set over Northern Town for the first time in four days, although only for a few minutes! With some increase in the amount of dimness and darkness at night, the temperatures will continue to drop further and further each night so that my morning walk to work is likely to continue involving a light jacket. (We had our first snowfall in the third week of September last year so summer is rather short. Fall celebrations start happening in August!)

So that was the (relative) short of it. Here's the long of it:
For comparison, here are the annual temperatures in Windsor, Ontario where I grew up:

1 comment:

THE GRAMMARPHILE said...

I'm glad to hear you're not *freezing* up there! :) It's so cool to hear about your different climate/daylight hours/etc. This might sound airheady, but sometimes it's hard to remember that there are SO many areas out there that have different attributes than your own does...you describe these differences so well. Always an enjoyable read! :)