Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A farewell of sorts


The rising sun
Blesses my mind
With joy.
The setting sun
Blesses my heart
With peace.
The Rising Sun
-Sri Chinmoy

I've been thinking about the sun this week and am confident that I'll still have joy and peace tomorrow when the sun will neither rise nor set here in Northern Town. There are still a few weeks of twilight remaining as we ease into a month of darkness and I've been enjoying watching the sky change from black to deep blue and varied shades of purple, pink and gold during the few hours when the sun nears the horizon to peek out and then descends to fade away again.
For those who appreciate this sort of information, here's a clip from the NRCC's website and their sunrise sunset calculator for Northern Town. Note that the sun reaches its zenith today at 2:46pm local time (we're on daylight savings time) and sets less than half an hour later.


ManNorth has the camera today so I won't be able to share a photo. Instead, I'll share are a few I took this past weekend as the sun rose (and set) while we were out exploring on our skis. The temperature was a frosty -30C but I still managed to overheat and had to shed one of my wool sweaters.

Looking north at midday.


The sun reaches its zenith over Big Lake



Leaning trees along the shore at local noon


Cold? Bah! Never with head to toe wool!



A favourite view from south of Northern Town at midday.

5 comments:

Lauri said...

Wow - such beautiful photos! You guys should make a calendar for us! I don't think I would do well with no sun!

Anonymous said...

so what exactly do you and TM do? It sounds like all you do is explore and take pictures of the beautiful scenery...LOL. I love the pics tho so I am definitely not complaining...heehee...

Steph said...

Lovely... I love these glimpses into a life that's so different in ways like this. And yes--The photos are just gorgeous!

WomanNorth said...

Thanks for the compliments all, but it's really hard NOT to take a good picture here!
We love it that ManNorth has a digital camera issued from his workplace as we don't own our own and it takes weeks to get film developed as it must be sent to Yellowknife for processing!

Noelle, we both spend much of our time staring at our computer screens. ManNorth gets to supplemnent that with daily adventures out into the wilds helping to keep the trees in line.
;)

Anonymous said...

Cool! Well, keep the great pics coming...