Thursday, November 29, 2007

I think my brain is cross eyed

Or, at least that's how it feels trying to do this:

Look at the image. Is the dancer spinning clockwise or counter clockwise?



Now, concentrate and make her spin the OTHER way. Then try changing back again once you do it.


I can do it if I focus on her planted foot, but it's really hard to change between directions!


Go to this link http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html for the original article, complete with brief descriptions of right brained (clockwise viewers) vs left brained (counterclockwise) dominant thinkers. (Although I'm still not quite convinced of one "side" of the brain being dominant over another and wonder if this specific effect -in this moving image) isn't due more to handedness, although we'll leave discussion of that for another day.


7 comments:

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph said...

How strange! I was feeling like a bit of an idiot after staring at her for a while, thinking, "But it's so *obvious* she's going counter-clockwise. How could that change? And then I looked away for a minute, and voila--clockwise when I looked again! I realized if I look at her hip I can make it change. My brain "sees" the details of the lifted leg and assumes it's on one side or the other. If I can change that, she switches directions. Thanks for a fun distraction! :)

Steph said...

I had some heinous typos in that first post. So deleted it. Heh.

Heather said...

I have a headache. And she's
still
going counter clockwise....

WomanNorth said...

Huh. Counterclockwise for you both?
She goes clockwise almost every time for me and only with great concentration or complete distraction (like scrolling the page up or down) will she spin the other way but if I blink, she's back to clockwise again.

Steph said...

Yup.. for me she certainly wants to go counter-clockwise. I've spent way too long staring at the poor lady. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry WN, she's moving clockwise for me too. It took alot of concentration for me as well to see her turn the other way. It must be our creative minds that see it that way...