Monday, November 12, 2007

Another first!

The ManNorth is currently fending off blows at a defensive tactics training course and I'm watching in the growing darkness (the sun's down and it's just 5PM) as a woman slowly maneouvres around a nearby parking lot on her snow mobile, presumably for the entertainment of the toddler seated in front of her. Other snow mobiles have been zipping up and down on the snow covered gravel shoulders of mainstreet and I can hear the buzz from other machines that are racing along the nearby river. I have yet to see anyone wearing a helmet, although their use is required by law in town for anyone riding an ATV or snow mobile. Outside of town, helmet use isn't legislated and users typically move at much greater speed than the 40km/hr limit in town. Ah well, 'tis their noggins at risk and not mine!

Yesterday, I was pleased to see a novel (to me) use of a snow mobile: for training sled dogs! We were on a cross country skiing excursion along the river when a couple with a team of dogs raced up to us and we could see that the dogs were pulling a snow mobile instead of a sled. As we watched, the team slowed down and made a U-turn through a set of posts driven into the river ice and dashed back the way they came, passing between another pair of posts as they went. The ManNorth managed a few photos before they disappeared downriver.

I was rather pleased as this was the first dog team I've seen in action since we moved here and I've been anticipating them all summer and fall, particularly when hearing or seeing the local dogs yipping and barking from their kennels. We turned down an offer of free puppies a few weeks ago and will wait until we have a house and space to accomodate a few dogs. -Or perhaps a sled dog team of our own.
Cue oldies song: "DreeeeEEEEEeeeam, dream, dream, dream ...."

In the photo above, the team has just passed between the posts and are beginning their turn. The female passenger has jumped off and out of view on the right to replace a post that was knocked over.

Above, both people are back on the snow mobile and the team is racing back to the next set of markers.


They're a wee bit faster than me on my skis!

I'm at least moving on the ice, unlike this beached hulk, abandoned long ago on the shore.

A few hours later, we'd changed out of our drenched clothing (we'd worn a few too many layers for the mild -10C that it was) and were rehydrating with hot chocolate as we enjoyed a day old newspaper, flown in on the afternoon jet. (Hurray for the Globe and Mail!)

3 comments:

Steph said...

Excellent! I love hearing these stories, and especially seeing the pictures. Jack London only WISHED he could experience what you do.

Do many people have sled dogs up there? I'd be interested to know just how common it is...

WomanNorth said...

Yep, having sled dogs is very common. It's possible that ManNorth and I may have a team one day but we'd have to be prepared to care for them year round, which would be prohibitive.

There is an area at the edge of town that is inhabited entirely by sled dogs! People who don't have room on their own property to house them have small lots where the dogs are housed and there is one road where a section of it has lot after lot of just dogs! I rode my bike through there during the summer and set off a chorus of howling as I passed each successive lot.

It's a bit sad to see many of them chained to their doghouses (each dog gets its own tiny house and just out of reach of its neighbours) but this practise is generally okay so long as the dogs get daily exercse (which I suspect many don't during their summer vacation). I wonder if building proper fenced kennels (as some people have done) is too expensive or is just generally viewed as unnecessary for working dogs.

I also don't know what proportion of the local dogs are used for racing vs working teams but am looking forward to seeing more teams practising for races they will compete in later this winter.

Heather said...

I think you need a sled dog team of your own. Or, you could start up a business as a sled dog summer trainer.... Just thinkin' out loud, here.