Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's not you. It's me.

Although I accepted one job offer and have already started work, I didn't phone up the other company to decline their (soon to be formal) job offer immediately until I'd actually signed a contract for my new job. That happened today and so I just got off the phone with the owner of the rejected company to let them know I won't be working for them and I must say, I am glad to have that over with!

The owner was surprised, particularly as when he answered my call he'd jumped right into the salary and benefit details of the job before I could stop him and was also hoping that I'd be free for a curling tournament tomorrow that he'd already penciled me in for as a way of meeting some of his clients. He was obviously disappointed and caught rather off guard. He briefly tried convincing me to change my mind, declared that I'd have so much more fun with his company and then in response to my extremely awkward and flimsy attempt at honesty, without being too honest about why I turned his job down, he was gracious and understanding. He wished me well, said that I needed to do what was right for me and then invited me (and ManNorth) over to his house for coffee any time we felt like dropping by.

It was like an awkward high school break up and I'm still feeling badly, like I just broke some poor kid's heart. Is that a normal reaction to turning down a good job offer? I feel like such a bad person somehow. I do think though, that I made the right decision for me.

2 comments:

naturegirl said...

That's hard. I can see why he would be surprised, how many jobs are floating around in Northern Town? It really is quite incredible that you had not one, but two job offers in such a remote location. I can't imagine having two simultaneous job offers here in Southern Metropolis!

Lauri said...

I think the way you feel is normal - for a women. Others may disagree but I think women are trained to worry about other peoples feelings - a useful skill at home, not always useful in a career. I can't tell you how many women I know have declined great job offers, or refused to apply for a great looking job because they do not want to hurt their current bosses feelings!