Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Some things you just don't forget

The recent news that the Toronto School Board is going to create an afrocentric school, despite much controversy and reports about the decision around the world (see here and here for instance), led to a discussion between ManNorth and me about how and when children learn about racial and cultural diversity and hopefully, also about the need for equality and kindness in their interactions with others.

Although I'm certain that my parents did their best to teach me to be a good kid, respectful of others, cognizant of diversity and desirous of equality for all, what made me really understand how hurtful racist behaviour can be was seeing the result of it firsthand, caused by none other than me.

It was in grade two when one of my classmates told me a joke at recess that seemed funny at the time. I can't remember the details now but it involved 4 people on a plane, the need to quickly jump out and only 3 parachutes. A Chinese man was the butt of the joke although I'm sure that the other 3 passengers were also racist stereotypes. I don't know what possessed me to pass it on, other than that I actually remembered the entire joke (which is rare for me to this day) but I did. In spite of knowing it wasn't a nice joke, I told it to David P. who then told it to Andy H, a cute little kid of Chinese heritage. Andy broke into tears, David (who didn't give me up) was severely disciplined by Mrs. F. and I felt terrible.

Andy wasn't a close friend of mine (although by grade 5 I had a HUGE crush on him) but he was my classmate and I liked him and I had done something that was cruel and made him feel sad and horribly aware of a difference he had from many of his classmates.

That was the moment that the lessons about racism made sense and it wouldn't have occurred if I'd had only classmates of the same heritage as me. I'd like to think that I would have treated any child equally, irrespective of their skin colour, if I'd never had a chance to be friends with kids who looked different than me, but I can't be sure.

I hope that the new school in Toronto is a success and is of help to kids who need it but I can't dismiss the positive impact that exposure to classroom diversity had on me and is likely having for thousands of other children in classrooms today.

4 comments:

Lauri said...

Thanks for sharing this story. I expect like the problems our native people have in school here - there will be no one right answer and we have to be prepared that fixing a complicated problem is going to be hard. Black only schools may be the answer for some but it will not solve all the problems.

Lauri said...

Are you still using the email I have? I want to send you something for editing.

naturegirl said...

When our first child was about three, we went out for dinner and he pointed at another man across the restaurant and exclaimed loudly (multiple times) "He looks just like you daddy!" I guess that's about the age they start to recognize racial differences? Perhaps when he grows up we'll enroll him in a school for half-caucasian, half-indian children...

WomanNorth said...

Lauri, I sent an email to your UR account to reply to. You can always send me one to my womannorth gmail account too.