Tuesday, February 19, 2008

WomanNorth's own Super Tuesday

Finally I have something new and wonderful and scary and intimidating and a million other adjectives to report. I have a big decision to make: I've just been offered work in Northern Town by two different companies. Both are attractive for different reasons and both very much want to hire me!

One will give me work experience that I would LOVE to be doing in the region of Northern Town and is likely to provide connections to other potential future employment (and employers) of the type I see as ideal for me, although the position, albeit temporary, sounds rather close to ideal already. However, it is only as a casual employee without the benefits and job security of a full time position. The hourly pay is quite reasonable but may not be as much as the other job is offering. I'd be replacing a current (and valued) employee away on maternity leave and there may not be work for me with this company when she returns, potentially this August. There is a possibility though, that she won't return (so I've been told) and there is also the possibility of another attractive position opening in the company in the next month that I could apply for when it comes up. I could qualify for that position although it would be advertised and I'd have to compete for it. The work involved for the casual work will be in a field in which I have relevant training but the specific work involved is new to me both subjectively and geographically, mostly owing to me being new to this area of the world. I interviewed with this company (although I'd not intended to -long story there) 5 weeks ago and just heard back from them today although they promised to get back to me within two weeks of the inital meeting. They have work that they would like me to start on immediately before the end of the week and preferably, tomorrow (as they have a deadline they need to meet and the work I'd do for them would help them meet it)!

The other job will give me as many hours as I want to work (although they'd like to hire me full time immediately), likely a good salary, job security and benefits and will consist of work that is much more loosely related to my current experience and training than the other position. The environment of this position may be very fast paced, and stressful at times with looming deadlines, occasionally needing my weekends and evenings and be quiet and slow paced with little to do at other times. It will not offer nearly as much time out of the office and in the field as the other position but field work (when it comes) is likely to be quite varied, both geographically and subjectively, and not always within my field of expertise (although if I'm willing to spend lots of time away from Northern Town, they have a position for me which would specifically use much of my academic training). This job will involve much less active science (i.e. very little) than the other position and the subjects I'll be working on will not be for me to decide and the data owned by someone else. I don't see this job as being one that I would like to make a career in but it will give me valuable experience should I choose to find other work in a few years. However, some specific (and very attractive) experiences that the other job may offer will not be possible in this position and these would also be a significant advantage in finding alternate (ideal) work down the road.

I found myself accidentally interviewing for this position (long story there too) initally a few weeks ago and it was followed up two weeks later with a formal interview via a conference call and meeting last Friday. The job offer, although promised, won't come until after I speak with yet another person from their company. I've been assured that I'll be getting an offer regardless of this third interview which is more to discuss some specific experience that I have and how it may (or may not) be useful to the company in its operations much farther south than Northern Town. No date has been set for this conversation and thus, I don't know exactly when I'll be getting the formal offer to accept or decline.

I'm unfamiliar with the work environments for both positions and both represent significant challenges to me in different ways. I find both positions somewhat intimidating but am confident that I'll be a valuable employee in either position.

On top of all of this is a significant committment to finish an incomplete project from Prairie Town, one which I've irresponsibly neglected but needs to be finished as soon as possible, both for me and for others. Both employers would like me to finish this but (obviously) want my focus to be on the work I do for them. Completion of this project is not essential to either employer but it is to me and leaving it incomplete will also negatively impact my career options later, should I look for other work or seek other positions within each company. Finishing this project will be of significant advantage to me should I need to compete formally for a job with first company should the employee I'd be filling in for not return to her job.

Time may be provided for this project with the first company should I choose to work only part of the week for the next month or two but they'll need me for full time work come spring and summer and some of those periods will involve long periods away from Northern Town and ManNorth.

At the second company they'll hire me part time if needed but would prefer me to work 4 days a week until I finish my own project (during the three consecutive days off per week and after hours) after which I'd be employed full time. If they hire me, I'll immediately be sent south for a few weeks of full time training before coming back to work my 4 days a week until my project is done and I can work full time. There may be occasions where they'll need me to be away for long periods (ie. 4 weeks) but not as frequently as in the first job.


I know I've been vague, but if any of you have any suggestions that would help me make this decision, I'd be happy to hear them.

2 comments:

naturegirl said...

Congratulations! I have a few suggestions as to how to choose between the two. There's a round or two of eenie meenie, miney mo. If that doesn't work try rock, paper, scissors.

Lauri said...

Wow - what a nice dilemma!Since both jobs are going to give you experience in your chosen career path you can't really make a bad choice that way. If the benefits are not crucial for you at this time I would go for the job that sounds most interesting! Soon enough you will probably need more stability and benefits. Take advantage of any freedoms you have while you have them. And get that other project done!